The ikan VH8 8″ Camera Monitor is 1/2-inch thick and weighs a 1/2-pound. At the same time, it’s 8 inches wide. You get a wide monitor that is very slim and lightweight to attach atop your camera. The screen itself is about 7 inches and delivers a 1600 x 768 HD resolution.
The monitor has all the common software features for fine-tuning focus, exposure and other details, and it has four assignable function buttons for programming your most commonly used of these features. All the monitor’s buttons are away from screen view, with the four assignable buttons located at the top of the back panel, and with three more not far away. These three control the monitor’s menu and select between the monitor’s inputs, HDMI and Composite.
The monitor comes with a Canon E6 battery plate, which is optionally interchangeable for a different plate. Slim, wide, and feature-rich, the VH8 is a great tool for precision shooting, whether in videography or filmmaking.
- Ultra Wide 1600 x 768 LCD panel
- False Color, Clip Guide on-screen color chart
- False Color — adjustable Under Luminance & Over Luminance warning (only HDMI)
- Clip Guide — adjustable Threshold (similar to the Zebra crossing function (only HDMI)
- Pixel Data Analysis (IRE the color charts)
- Vertical H.U.D. (Heads Up Display) on the right side of the screen reads incoming signals
- Peaking (red outline)
- DSLR Scaling (only HDMI)
- Movable Pixel to Pixel
- Guides (4:3 & 16:9 Framing Safe Area)
- Check Field (blue, red, green, monochrome)
- Manual backlight adjustment
- H/V-line field delay
- Aspect ratio (16:9 / 4:3)
- Custom aspect ratio
- Adjustable RGB
- Four, assignable, touch-sensitive, function buttons on the rear
- The VH8 is equipped with both Monochrome and Color Peaking features, which highlight the desired focus area in a bright, RED outline. The operator adjusts the focus control until the RED indicator outlines on the desired area are razor sharp, indicating optimal focus. For the best results, be sure the subject is properly exposed.
- False Color
- The False Color feature utilizes a full spectrum of assigned color indicators, ensuring flawless shot exposure. The under/ over luminance warning enables the video professional to get the quality he/ she desires every time. By adjusting the camera’s Iris, the subject of the image will change color based on specific brightness values indicating optimal exposure.
- DSLR Scaling
- The DSLR Scaling function enables users to extend their DSLR camera’s HDMI video output to any option of four: Normal, 3:2, 16:9 or Full Screen – convenience made simple.
- Movable Pixel-to-Pixel
- The VH8’s 1:1 pixel-to-pixel mapping allows the video professional to emphasize on individual chosen elements in the shot. This feature is essential for capturing optimum detail.
- Clip Guides
- The VH8 offers adjustable upper Clip Guide levels to accurately display overexposed images in any shooting condition. The operator simply assigns the upper IRE to their preference and any exposure over the set IRE limit will flash in a vivid purple, indicating only the over exposed area.
|Screen Size||Approx. 7″ (18 cm)|
|Resolution||1600 x 768|
1x headphone jack
|LCD Brightness||300 nit|
|Viewing Angles||35º/35º (R/L), 10º/30º (U/L)|
NTSC-M, NTSC-J, NTSC 4.43
PAL B/G H I D, PAL M, PAL N
720x480i & 720x480p @ 59.94, 60 Hz
720x576i & 720x576p @ 50 Hz
1280x720p @ 50, 59.94, 60 Hz
1920x1080i @ 50, 59.94, 60 Hz
1920x1080psf @ 24, 25, 29.97, 30 Hz
1920x1080p @ 23.97, 24, 25, 29.94, 30, 50, 59.94, 60 Hz
|Mount Type||2x 1/4″-20 (one on bottom, one on top)|
|Operating Power||DC 7 V – 24 V|
|Dimensions||8 x 5 x .5″ (20.3 x 12.7 x 1.27 cm)|
|Weight||.6 lbs (.27 kg)|